December 13, 2012

Recent Happenings

I don't think I could count the number of times I have attempted to maintain a blog, but I guess right now is as good a time as any.  I mean, who wants to actually study for a final when you can distract yourself by every other possible means out there :-)! You can only read the same posts on Facebook, and look at the same pictures on Pinterest so many times before it's time to find something else to do! So here is my latest attempt.  I will start blogging now!

Life has been all over the place! I cannot even believe I have been married almost six months! Truly time just seems to be in fast forward most of the time.  I have been working and going to school, and Erik has been working-a lot!  I recently had a cornea transplant (I will explain more if you dare keep reading), and have been getting ready for Erik and I's first Christmas!  Life is so much fun! I am having a blast!

The Cornea Transplant

I have a condition called Keratoconus. Basically my cornea is too thin and can't hold it's shape correctly. Instead of being round, it goes into a cone shape. If you want some more information (it's actually pretty interesting) here is a good http://www.nkcf.org.  They usually treat Keratoconus by using hard contacts.  The contacts push the cornea into a normal shape and make it so you can actually.  Well extremely long story short, my eyes decided that they didn't want to wear hard contacts anymore. The next option is some lens like thing they put in they eye, but my condition was too severe so I had a cornea transplant.  Here are some pictures from the experience!




 Before and After Shot.  The halo you can see in the eye is the new cornea.  There are also 20 stitches that you can't see.

Overall, the healing process is going very well.  Though the first week was awful, I am feeling really good now and only have problems with pain sometimes.  It'll be about a year before it is all healed and done, but I am grateful to have been blessed enough to live in a time when medical technology allows for this.  Additionally, I am so deeply grateful for the individual who donated to me.  It is sometimes a bittersweet feeling that I have been blessed with better vision, and the ability to see while someone has just lost someone they loved.  I am grateful for the plan of salvation and that I know whoever has donated has returned to meet Heavenly Father.  It is a beautiful plan.

Christmastime!

I love Christmas! It is so strange not being at home, and having my own little place to decorate.  At first I wasn't going to decorate.  We have a pretty small (though adorable) apartment and I just didn't think it could work.  Well, in the end I gave in.  My daddy let me borrow one of the small trees he had tucked away int he attic, and I pulled out all my decorations (Thank you Grandma)!  I really love having a Christmas tree in our home and seeing it all lit up and decorated.  It really makes it feel more like Christmas! Now if only it would snow! Here are some pictures of my Christmas decorations!









Well, maybe I will try to keep posting in this blog!  At least anyone who reads it gets to have a small glimpse into what I've been doing!  Have a Merry Christmas!!!


2 comments:

Pamela said...

You have so many super cute Christmas decorations. I am glad your surg went well and it is so fun to be able to keep up with you through your blog.

Tava said...

I'm glad you read it! It makes it worth it if someone reads it! I will keep posting!